gubbio

fotoSet at the foot of Mount Ingino, Gubbio has remained unspoilt over the centuries. The Basilica of S. Ubaldo seems to watch over the place, the Tables of Gubbio tell about the religion of native Umbrian people and the Roman Theatre, just outside the city walls, bears witness to a glorious past, but the most significant mark was left by the Middle Ages. Palazzo dei Consoli, built in the early 14th century and which houses a museum, has become the symbol of the town. The Cathedral was erected in 1229 and has paintings dating back to the 16th century. The Church of St. Francis is of particular importance not only for its works of art but also because, according to a legend, it was the place where the wolf tamed by St. Francis found shelter.